KM group editors have picked the causes they will champion in 2018.
Ten charities have been selected by editors leading every aspect of the multimedia group’s operations, from newspaper, internet and TV.
All but one of the causes picked are receiving this special status for the first time. The East Kent Hospitals Charity Dementia Appeal makes a return appearance, but this time to be championed by the Kentish Gazette series. In 2017 it was backed by the Kentish Express in Ashford and Folkestone.
The only newspaper still to declare is the Kent Messenger in Maidstone which has selected a dozen causes for a shortlist to go through to a public vote. This will be open until 20 December and can be viewed at kentonline.co.uk/maidstonevote.
The KM Charity of the Year runs for the calendar year so the selected causes will meet their editor pre-Christmas to start planning press coverage for 2018.
In November the causes will be briefed by Simon Dolby from the charity dept at KM, itself a registered charity.
Mr Dolby said: “The choice facing editors was extremely tough with a wide variety of excellent causes nominated. An increasing number even followed our advice and included a suggested publicity schedule detailing what press stories might appear each month. This really helps editors to see what the year might look like in terms of the press coverage they provide.”
To receive news alerts for KM Charity of the Year and details of other support for charities and PTA groups, sign up for the KM Charity Team’s monthly e-newsletter Inspire. Visit www.kmcharityteam.co.uk to find out more.
KM Charity of the Year selected causes
- Ashford (Kentish Express): Ashford Volunteer Centre
- Dartford, Gravesend (Messenger): North Kent Disabled Foundation
- Maidstone (Kent Messenger): To be decided by a public vote – visit kentonline.co.uk/maidstonevote
- Medway towns (Medway Messenger): Unit 1 Skatepark Children’s Charity
- Sheerness Times Guardian: Kent Wildlife Rescue Service
- Sittingbourne (Messenger, News Extra): New Leaf Support
- Thanet (Thanet Extra): East Kent Mencap
- Canterbury district (Kentish Gazette): East Kent Hospitals Charity Dementia Appeal
- Deal, Dover (East Kent Mercury): Age UK Dover
- KentOnline / KMTV (Kent-wide): MCCH